GE HealthCare Recalls Nuclear Medicine 600/800 Series Systems for Risk of Detector Fall That May Injure Patients
The Food and drug administration has determined this as a Course I recall, the most really serious style of recall. Use of these products might result in significant accidents or death.
- Item Title: Nuclear Drugs 600/800 Collection systems
- Product Types:
- Brivo 615
- Discovery NM 630
- Optima 640
- Discovery NM/CT: 670 DR, 670 ES, 670 Professional, 670 CZT
- NM: 830, 830ES
- NM/CT: 850, 850 ES, 860, 860 ES, 870 CZT, 870 DR, 870 ES.
See Healthcare Gadget Remember Databases entry for a lot more data.
- Distribution Dates: April 1, 2018 to December 16, 2022
- Units Recalled in the U.S.: 688
- Date Initiated by Agency: December 18, 2022
GE Nuclear Drugs 600 and 800 Sequence techniques are made use of by overall health care industry experts to examine ailments, trauma, abnormalities, and problems. These programs develop photos of the overall body to support health care providers evaluate organ operate or detect and diagnose concerns this kind of as cardiovascular condition, neurological disorders, and most cancers.
Explanation for Recall
GE Healthcare is recalling the Nuclear Medication 600 and 800 Series techniques following pinpointing an problem with two mechanisms that avoid uncontrolled detector motion. Initially, there is a danger that the ball screw that serves as design mitigation for the suspended mass of the detector may perhaps fall short. On top of that, some units are also missing a security essential that really should avert the detector from a catastrophic fall when the ball screw fails.
If the ball screw fails and the basic safety crucial is lacking, the 1212-pound (550-kg) detector could fall, probably crushing or trapping a patient, which might consequence in significant damage or loss of life.
There have been eight grievances, no injuries, and no fatalities documented linked to this problem.
Who Might be Affected
- Individuals who have to have nuclear medication imaging making use of 1 of the 600 or 800 Series systems.
- Health and fitness treatment staff (which includes imaging professionals) who accomplish nuclear medication imaging employing the 600 or 800 Series techniques.
- Hospitals and other overall health care configurations that use GE Nuclear Drugs 600 or 800 Collection devices for imaging.
What to Do
On December 18, 2022, GE Health care despatched consumers an Urgent Professional medical Machine Correction letter to tell them of the concern. The letter bundled the adhering to tips.
The business advised customers stop use of these Nuclear Medicine techniques until eventually an inspection is accomplished by GE Healthcare provider professionals. They also requested that consumers finish the letter’s Acknowledgement Response type and deliver to [email protected]
As of January 13th, GE has noted that:
Prospects will be contacted by a GE Healthcare consultant to set up for the inspection and any wanted corrections. Throughout that inspection, a GE Health care engineer will:
- Be certain all basic safety mitigations to reduce a catastrophic drop of the detector are in spot.
- Right any problems with the protection mitigation products.
- Supply the buyer with a “release letter” indicating that the device can be returned to medical use.
- Use a label to the machine about the done inspection and give an updated support addendum.
It is also significant to take note that the security important is not obvious to or obtainable by the patient or the technician who operates it. Only a services technician can examine it and offer a correction.
Customers with inquiries about this remember must contact GE Health care Service at 1-800-437-1171 or their regional Company Consultant.
How do I report a difficulty?
Health and fitness care industry experts and people may perhaps report adverse reactions or good quality complications they expert employing these devices to MedWatch: The Fda Safety Information and Adverse Celebration Reporting Method applying an on line sort, common mail, or FAX.