If you’re a Missouri pet owner looking for a pet insurance provider, we at the Guides Home Team have done the research for you. We carefully vetted the best pet insurance companies across the country and narrowed down our picks for the Show-Me State, reviewing how each provider compares on cost, plans, coverage, discounts, customization options and more.
Whether you’re in St. Louis, Springfield, Columbia or anywhere in between, we feel confident that you’ll find the right insurance plan for your pet on this list.
Missouri’s Top 7 Pet Insurance Companies
Here are our seven picks for the best pet insurance companies in Missouri:
To learn more: Spot Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Spot’s website
Healthy Paws: Affordable Unlimited Coverage
To learn more: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Healthy Paws’ website
Figo: Most Flexible Reimbursement Rates
To learn more: Figo Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Figo’s website
Embrace: Our Pick for Savings
To learn more: Embrace Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Embrace’s website
Wagmo: Most Wellness Plan Options
To learn more: Wagmo Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Wagmo’s website
Fetch by the Dodo: Our Pick for Therapy Coverage
To learn more: Fetch Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Fetch’s website
Trupanion: Most Flexible Deductible
To learn more: Trupanion Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Trupanion’s website
Types of Pet Insurance Plans
Most pet insurance providers offer three primary types of coverage:
- Accident-only: An accident-only plan covers treatments needed for injuries and accident-related issues. You won’t be covered for illnesses.
- Accident-and-illness: This plan covers treatments for both accidents and illnesses. Unless the provider states otherwise, it won’t include preventive care.
- Preventive care: Preventive coverage typically comes as an add-on combined with your base plan for an additional monthly fee. This includes coverage routine wellness care such as annual exams, vaccinations, preventive medications and testing, and sometimes dental cleanings.
How To Choose the Right Pet Insurance Provider
Picking the right pet insurance provider involves finding the coverage your pet needs at a price you can afford. Start by considering these factors:
- Your pet’s needs: Some pet insurance companies have upper age limits and won’t cover elderly pets. Other providers will consider covering preexisting conditions if your pet has been symptom-free for a certain time period. Consider your pet’s age, breed and specific needs to determine which providers cater to your pet. If it’s predisposed to certain hereditary or breed-specific conditions, ensure you select an insurance plan that covers those issues.
- Price: Pet insurance prices vary greatly based on location, breed, age and the customizations you select. Familiarize yourself with the customization options, such as the choices for deductible, reimbursement rate and annual coverage limit. Identify any discounts that are available for bundling, insuring multiple pets or other qualifiers. Use each provider’s online quote tool to see what your monthly premium would be based on the coverage and customizations you want.
- Exclusions: Carefully read each provider’s coverage details and policy permissions before purchasing a pet insurance plan. Most providers have a sample policy linked on their site with the fine print. Be aware of age limits, preexisting condition terms, rate increases, enrollment requirements and more to mitigate surprises later on.
The Bottom Line
The right pet insurance company comes down to what you want for your pet. If it’s behavioral coverage to treat anxiety and aggression, Fetch may be a good choice. If it’s preventive care, Wagmo has the most options. You should also consider what the best deal is for your budget. Embrace has multiple discounts and Healthy Paws offers unlimited coverage. It depends on which factors matter most to you.
Before buying a pet insurance plan, study each provider’s plan offerings and coverage details to clarify what is and isn’t reimbursable. Understand the fine print on the policies, look at customer reviews and get online quotes to compare prices for your specific location.
Compare Pet Insurance Providers in Missouri
See how Missouri pet insurance providers compare according to data gathered through our secret-shopping process.
*We obtained the above monthly premiums for an accident-and-illness policy for a 4-year-old, medium-sized, mixed-breed dog in Missouri. Pricing may vary based on your pet’s age, breed and location, so we recommend getting quotes directly from companies for the most accurate cost information.
Methodology: Our System for Ranking the Best Pet Insurance Companies
Our review of pet insurance companies is based on in-depth industry research that includes reading hundreds of customer reviews, simulating the quote and purchasing process, speaking to representatives on the phone to assess the customer service experience and surveying 1,000 dog and cat owners nationwide to determine the most important elements of pet insurance coverage.
We scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements. We then divided the points earned for each provider’s final score on a 5-point scale.
Here are more details about each factor and how they’re weighted:
- Monthly pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for its pet insurance plans is an important part of a customer’s decision. The best pet insurance companies combine comprehensive coverage and plan options with affordable rates.
- Plans (15 points): The top pet insurance companies offer accident and illness plans, accident-only plans and wellness or preventive care add-ons to give customers the option to choose a plan that’s best for their pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we scored companies based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Companies with a breadth of included treatments and unique coverages received more points than providers with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a valuable way to ensure you only pay for what your pet needs. Providers with more annual-limit, deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the highest scores.
- Customer care (10 points): We scored companies on their website accessibility and overall usability, customer service availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth options, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry reputation (10 points): To determine each company’s industry reputation, we reviewed up-to-date ratings and accreditation information from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and scored companies on their years of experience in the industry and their state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Companies with shorter accident, illness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than companies with longer waiting periods.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some companies don’t offer policies for pets that are over a certain age. We deducted points from providers that have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to compare and contrast each company against key factors to help us determine the best pet insurance companies in the industry. Additionally, we keep our research up to date and revisit our reviews on a regular basis.